Voluntarily accepting the degree of suffering that Dave Scott and Mark Allen bore in their Iron War requires an exceptionally strong motivation. What motivated Scott and Allen to embrace the agony they did in their epic showdown? It certainly wasn’t money. The prize for winning the 1989 Ironman® was a meager $20,000. The second-place finisher took home $8,000.
One of my goals in researching my newly published book about Iron War was to discover what motivated Dave Scott and Mark Allen to reach so deep in that race.
Read the full article “Lessons of Iron War: He Who Wants It Most Wins” on Triathlete magazine’s website.
Download the first chapter of Iron War free!
Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, and the Greatest Race Ever Run
Hardcover with jacket, color photosections
6″ x 9″, 320 pp., $25.95, 978-1-934030-77-6
Available now in bookstores, triathlon shops, and online.
- Buy Iron War at Amazon.com.
- Buy Iron War at BarnesandNoble.com.
- Buy Iron War at TriSports.com.
- Buy Iron War at VeloGear.com.
- Buy Iron War on Chapters/Indigo’s website.
- Buy Iron War at your local independent bookseller.